Frequently Asked Questions
How to care for your item?
- It’s best never to dishwash your item since it can damage from bouncing around. Furthermore the item may rust in the dishwasher.
- When you get home wash your item with warm, soapy water.
- Dry your item immediately and thoroughly, otherwise rusting will occur rapidly.
- After drying, coat your item with a thin layer of coconut oil (using a paper towel or tissue) to prevent rusting. Any food-safe oil will do, though coconut oil is great because it’s cheap, available, food-safe, delicious, and doesn’t easily go rancid.
- If rusting does occur, simply scrub the affected area using steel wool, a metal brush, sandpaper, or a rough bristle pad. Wash, dry, and coat with oil.
- To sharpen, it’s best to use a wet stone. You can find good options on Amazon for less than $20!
- Alternatively, you may email us to schedule a time for a free cleaning
Is it safe for pregnant women to participate in blacksmithing classes?
100% safe. We do not use any harsh chemicals. We’ve had many pregnant students (some at nearly full term) and there have been zero issues. We are happy to provide a chair at the station in case of any needed breaks during the activity.
Unsure exactly how many people are in your group?
Please schedule on the lower limit of expected attendance when booking a private session: We recommend registering 80% of your expected headcount. We’re super flexible about increasing the number of participants (we’ll charge the difference after your experience), but it’s troublesome when you overestimate! You’re entitled to a refund for a maximum of 3 ‘no-shows’ regardless of group size.
How long are the classes?
All experiences are 3 hours in duration.
Can people in our group make different items?
No. A private group must select one curriculum (no mix and matching).
Do I need to have prior experience?
No experience required! The vast majority of our students have never held a hammer, and they all do great. Our experiences are accessible to all ages, genders, backgrounds, physicality, and interests. Think you’re too weak or uncoordinated for our classes? You’re mistaken. Give us the opportunity to surprise you.
How old do kids need to be to join?
Ages 6+, though we ask parents to use their discretion. You cannot book a class for a child (15 years and younger) without an adult on the reservation.
Can I share my project with someone else?
Any two people may register for one reservation/seat if they’d like to make a single item together.
Is there parking?
Plenty of free onsite parking!
How accessible are you for disabilities?
Accessible for a wide range of physical disabilities/injuries/sickness: Please inquire if you have concerns and please provide a notice of special needs upon registration.
Can I watch without participating?
You’re welcome to stay and watch if you’re not participating.
Can we bring our own food or snacks?
Attendees are welcome to bring their own food and beverages: There’s plenty of space to eat safely in the shop.
How do I get my item home? Is it allowed on a plane?
The only item you may fly with as carry on is the bottle opener. All other items must either be placed in checked luggage or mailed.We’re happy to ship your item(s) for you: $10/box; each box can fit at least 10 items; expect ~5 days from class date to delivery.
Should I bring any special gear/equipment?
No. All necessary safety gear is provided at the shop.
What should I wear blacksmithing?
- CLOSED TOED SHOES (sneakers are fine but absolutely no sandals, flipflops, high heels, etc.)
- Cotton pants (jeans) are preferred but shorts or leggings are acceptable.
- Short OR long sleeve cotton tee-shirts recommended.
- Please avoid synthetics.
What is your cancellation policy?
Cancellations made greater than 21 calendar days prior to event will receive a full refund; Cancellations made within 21 calendar days will incur a 50% fee.
Can I reschedule?
You may reschedule up to 72 hours prior to your reservation at no additional cost; Rescheduling within 72 hours will incur a 20% fee.
Do you offer military/NPO/youth discounts?
We offer military, NPO, and youth discounts. Please reach out for details.
Can I customize my experience?
We can try to customize an experience if you have particular time/budget/interest constraints. Please contact us and provide details.
READY TO BE A BLACKSMITH FOR A DAY?